Sunday, September 19, 2010

My Sister Wants More Pictures

Sunday night... We are exhausted. I seriously need to go to work tomorrow so I can rest my body a little. Tim jackhammered tile and leftover thin set on the cement floor for about 6 more hours today. He thinks the drill bit or the drill or whatever this thing is is broken. I don't know, and I am too tired to expend any mental energy on this. I tried jackhammering and lasted about 3 minutes short of lasting 5 minutes. The vibration the jackhammer kicks back is pretty tough to handle and I was exhausted.

In case you were wondering, Tim Flaherty is a machine... He kept working all day. Here he is blasting through the thin set in the laundry room. We have a joke about doing our own infomercial workout video loosely based upon Power 90X or P-90X, whatever they call it. Tim calls our work on the broken house P-90 Foreclosure because it's so physically demanding. We are sweating like crazy the entire time, hearts pounding, muscles exhausted. Oh, and eating like wolverines whenever we get the chance. We are also doing loads of laundry of our work clothes almost constantly.



While Tim was jack hammering, I worked on removing the baseboards. We're going to get new ones anyway, and then the tile can be flush against the wall and it'll have a nice finished edge. It's pretty gross and dusty work, but then again, the dust is mostly from the tile demolition. We also filled up a few more bags of tile and dust for the garbage men to take away on Tuesday. They already hate our guts even though I gave them some cash as a thank you last week for hauling away what we had out at the curb. Wait till they get a look at this week's tile extravaganza, I will be paying their kids' college tuition.


We talked with our tile guy tonight. He told us he can finish the rest of the demo job for a very reasonable price. Ummmm.... Let me think about it......... OK!!!!! We are done with this job. I pray that I never demo tile again in my whole life. There is a layer of dust on every surface in the house. The tile guy is coming over tomorrow morning to check out our work, get his demo guy / middle relief pitcher in here and then he can get down to doing the tile maybe later this week. The granite template guy was over yesterday, and we are getting a painter quote tomorrow. Things are coming together. I also picked out bedroom carpet.

Oh, but just as there is a ray of sunshine, there's always a cloud..... I had the bright idea tonight that I ought to disconnect the dishwasher and demo the tile underneath it after Tim took the kids to our normal non-broken house so that he could mow the lawn. I wanted to stay at the broken house and work some more. I got the dishwasher unscrewed, pulled out, and tipped over. I didn't care if I scratched it because the dishwasher didn't work anyway and we need to get a new one. But this one came with some water inside (thank you foreclosure gods) and it spilled all over what was formerly the kitchen floor. I couldn't disconnect the electrical line because it was hard-wired into the island (as opposed to plugged in), and so I just shut off the power at the circuit breaker and called it a night. I figured when I start doing stupid things, it's time to go home and take a shower.

The kids have been awesome throughout. They have a pool, and for that, they're pretty happy. The weather was gorgeous today, mid-80's and humidity not too bad. They spent most of the time horsing around by the pool. We keep them going with snacks and quick visits and they're really happy kids.

We also revised our remaining schedule today and are hoping to be getting ready to start putting the broken house back together. It's back to work for me tomorrow and poor Tim has to keep at it in the broken house. I don't know what updates I'll be making this week. Every day is an adventure in the broken house.

No comments:

Post a Comment