Sunday, October 10, 2010

As the U-Haul Slogan says "U Can Do It," We are MOVING!

We are moving! What a week this has been. We are putting the finishing touches on what we now call the "Beautiful House," and it's all coming together, but it's been a stressful week because now, the details of the house require more fine-tuning, and we are exhausted. It's hard to fine-tune when your muscles are shaking, your fingers are scraped, and your back is killing you. But, this is not a woe-to-us story. This has been a great month renovating this house and we are so happy we took on this project. Both Tim and I feel that we would DEFINITELY renovate another house. I just need about 6 months off for rest, and count me back in.

So onto the pictures!


 Here's an action photo of Mike, our electrician. Mike has been with us so much the past week, I almost feel like we need to offer him one of the bedrooms and let him move in with us.

The poor guy has crawled through every spooky/creepy part of both the current house we live in (to uninstall my favorite chandelier) as well as the new Beautiful House.





This light fixture is the new fixture that Mike the Electrician installed in our kitchen:


Tim Flaherty picked out this one: the new light fixture over the front door. One night, I'd had it. Tired, sore, crabby...I brought the kids home and got everyone ready for bed. We had to have the front door light fixture for Mike the Electrician to hang the next day.

Tim went to Home Depot and picked this one out all by himself, I think he did a good job.



This light fixture is the aforementioned "favorite" chandelier. I bought this chandelier before we left Syracuse with the proceeds from our moving/garage sale. So I feel that this light fixture is somehow tied to my time in Syracuse.

Anyway, it's been hanging in our current house for the past 4 1/2 years, and it's coming with us to the Beautiful House. It'll hang over our dining room table. They're not on in this picture, but we have little lamp shades that hide the light bulbs.



Here was this week's major bump in the road! The stove finally came in on Tuesday. Guess what? It's 3 inches shorter than the old cooktop/wall oven configuration we had. Not to worry though. Although I did in fact, worry considerably about this snafu..... This type of stove is called a "drop in," which means the top of it actually rests on the granite surrounding it. It is in the correct position at the top, but at the bottom, as you'll see in the 2nd picture, there is a gap of about 2-3" that we need to cover with a replacement drawer panel. Or something. Creative thoughts needed at this moment....

Right now, I can see black space. But I'm not going to think about that. The only thought I can focus on at this moment is to just get into this house!

There's the dead space underneath my "drop in" stove. We need to get a
panel / replacement drawer face to put there. I called the cabinet company
to see what they can do... fingers crossed.

Back to the move.... Here are our two professional movers, ready to get to work!

Timmy in the driver's seat, Norah the Navigator:

Showing Mary Reizun (our niece and kids' cousin) the newly Beautiful House:


The kids actually had a fight about who got to drive in the cab of the Uhaul with me. Norah got to ride there on the way TO the house, Timmy got the front seat on the way back. Why couldn't they both ride with me? Um.... this Uhaul had 3 seat belts..... but only 2 seat belt plugs....... Thanks Uhaul.

Last picture for this post. Tim and I went on a date night last night since our niece agreed to babysit the kids. Only in Orlando, we're driving around and we see Rocket Man in the car below. To the Moon, Alice!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment